Thursday, November 1, 2012

Blog Exercise: Visual Thinking Research


Puzzle 1:
I thought this puzzle looked to be the easiest, but it actually was a little trickier than I though it would be.  The goal was to count as many squares as possible, even if some were overlapping.  I started by counting the smallest squares first and then moving on to the bigger ones.  I accidentally messed up at first because I started counting the rectangle squares as well.  I ended up counting 11 squares overall.  The aim of this puzzle is to look at the bigger picture rather then look at the squares close in detail.  When I examined the squares as a whole, I was able to spot bigger squares that were not easily as visible.

Although it took my roommate sometime to figure this out, she was able to find all 11 squares as well.  She interrupted the directions differently than me and did not think to include the rectangles at all (which shows I read the directions wrong!) Overall she thought this puzzle was pretty easy in comparison to other puzzles she has done.

Puzzle 2:
This puzzle was extremely difficult for me.  It took me several tries to finally figure this out, and I even had to look at the solution for some answers.  While doing the puzzle, I never thought to extend the lines past the 4 corners of the square.  Because I never considered that option, I was always stuck with using more than 6 connecting lines to reach each star.  I really did think this puzzle would be a breeze!  It taught me to think outside the box more, and to make sure I brainstorm all the possible solutions before I attempt something.  This puzzle definitely works the brain in that it makes you think outside the norm.

My roommate could not figure this puzzle out as well.  She was as stumped as me, and we were both shocked and confused when we ended up looking at the solution.  We both attempted many tries at this puzzle, each failing time after time.  We both were losing patience as we could not figure out the answer to this puzzle.

No comments:

Post a Comment